Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site

Zimbabwe province quiet after a security sweep

Order prevails and most Army units have been withdrawn from the troubled southern Zimbabwe province of Matabeleland after a two-week security operation, police said.

The operation began after an attack by gunmen on guards at Prime Minister Robert Mugabe's Harare residence June 24. The government later announced that eight soldiers from Bulawayo had been arrested. During the operation several people were arrested and arms were recovered, but there was no violence, police said.

About these ads

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.