Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site


About these ads

Victorian restoration workshop. Have you wondered how to restore your Victorian home? In the resort town of Cape May, N.J., a 10-day Victorian Week will feature house tours, fashion shows, vaudeville, and a ``Glorious Victorian Dinner and Concert.'' Plans also include a workshop on restoring houses from the 1820-1920 era. On Oct. 13-17, nationally known experts James Massey and Shirley Maxwell will speak on interior and exterior restoration of Victorian houses. Lectures will discuss topics such as marbleizing and graining, and 19th-century American furniture, silver, and floor coverings, and there will be tours of works-in-progress and hands-on workshop sessions. For last-minute reservations call (609) 884-5404 at the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts, PO Box 164, Cape May, NJ 08204. Paddling through the Everglades. Southern-bound nature seekers can enjoy the quiet of paddling and camping in the Florida Everglades this winter. For the eighth year, North American Canoe Tours Inc. is offering escorted wilderness trips lasting seven to 14 days from Nov. 15 through April 11. All canoes, tents, and meals (home-cooked style, prepared from scratch at the campsite) are supplied. Campers need pack only clothes and personal belongings. The cost of the trips ranges from $495 to $770 per person. Discount air fares to Miami are available and trippers can be picked up at Miami International Airport. Contact Dave Harraden, North American Canoe Tours Inc., 65 Black Point Rd., Niantic, CT 06357, or call (203) 739-0791 for details.

Getting a visa for France. A recent ruling requires that all United States citizens obtain a visa before leaving for France. You may go to a French consulate in one of several US cities to fill out an application form and present a current passport and one other form of identification displaying a photo. The fee is $9 for three months or $15 for one year. Or pick up an application from a travel agent or an airline office and mail it with a current passport, a money order for $9 or $15 (payable to Consulat de France), and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the nearest French consulate. Write the French Embassy, 4101 Reservoir Rd. NW, Washington, D.C., or the French Government Tourist Office, 610 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10020 for the address of the nearest consulate.


Page:   1   |   2   |   3

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.