Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site

Guests were blown away by this wedding

About these ads

Lori's wedding day surprised everyone, most of all Lori. No one could have foreseen, even 24 hours earlier, how events would unfold.

Plans for the wedding had begun a year before. The ceremony was scheduled at a local synagogue and the reception at a beautiful beachfront hotel, where out-of-town guests would stay. For months, Lori pored over floral arrangements for herself and her attendants, and chose white roses for the centerpieces.

"The hardest job was making seating charts," said Annette, the mother of the bride. "It took me months to work out the arrangements. I didn't want to end up seating a cousin with no other relatives, or putting all quiet people at one table!"

The weekend of the wedding arrived. Although the event was scheduled for Sunday afternoon, guests began arriving on Friday, hoping to enjoy a beautiful autumn weekend in Florida. That night, as many socialized in the hotel lobby, those hopes were dashed as the radio broadcast news of a tropical storm nearing hurricane strength, hovering some miles offshore.

"Don't worry," the bride's father said. "We'll get some rain and a little wind. We can handle that."

At 2 a.m. on Saturday, with the wind roaring and the rain pelting the house on all sides, The mother of the bride awoke in time to hear the phone ring. "We're being evacuated!" shouted a wedding guest. "Where should we go?"

"Evacuated?" Annette repeated. "Come to our place."

Within an hour, 25 people poured into the bride's home. Every couch, armchair, and patch of floor soon housed a sleepy guest. The rains continued to beat the walls of the house and the winds to whip through the trees, bending them to meet the roof.

"Annette!" came her husband's voice from the kitchen, "I called the hotel. They're under water and have lost half the kitchen. They said we're on our own."

Lori spent Saturday night sobbing. All that planning would be blown away in a tropical storm, and she'd have to cancel the wedding.

By Sunday morning, the winds and rain had subsided. The synagogue, being inland, had not been damaged, but finding a reception site for more than 100 people with only 24 hours' notice was a daunting task. Most of the beach places were flooded. The few still operating had rapidly filled up with displaced visitors from other hotels.


Page:   1   |   2

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.