Anne Hathaway earns early praise for 'Les Miserables'
Reviews for Les Miz are embargoed for the time being, but Indiewire has rounded up Twitter reactions from several critics and film journalists who were at the first open showing. Here’s a bullet-point summary of the responses:
- Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean could land his first Best Actor Oscar nod.
- Anne Hathaway as Fantine is a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination.
- Eddie Redmayne as Marius turns in a solid supporting performance.
- Russell Crowe takes a “Jesus Christ Superstar rock-opera” approach that distinguishes Inspector Javert (but may not be to everyone’s taste).
- The film as a whole is a “tour de force” and “tearjerker” that seems destined to become a Best Picture nominee.