After New York terrier swallows 111 pennies, dog still yapping [+video]
A New York dog swallowed 111 pennies, the New York Daily News reported, and his owner, after the pennies were surgically removed, told the veterinarian she could keep the change.
A New York City dog has undergone emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from his stomach.
The New York Daily News reported that a Jack Russell terrier named Jack swallowed 111 pennies last week while licking up bagel crumbs from the floor and quickly became ill.
“He’s like a voracious Tasmanian devil — if there’s food, he’s got to get it,” Tim Kelleher, the dog's owner, told the Daily News.
“He climbed on my desk to get at the bag with the bagel and knocked the change all over the floor. While he was licking up the crumbs, he swallowed the pennies.”
The 13-year-old pooch's owner rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery.
That's when dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins. The zinc from the coins could be lethal.
“If Jack would not have had the pennies removed the consequences would have been fatal,” Amy Zalcman, who helped treat the dog, told the Daily News.
After removing the pennies five at a time, Mr. Kelleher said he let Dr. Zalcman keep the change, the Daily News reported.
The dog's owner told the newspaper his best friend is back to his normal self, driving him crazy.