Oreo cupcakes with cream cheese frosting(Read article summary)
Take everyone's favorite milk and cookie combo to the next level with these Oreo cupcakes. Iced with a cream cheese frosting and topped with crumbled cookies, they're something special.
The Pastry Chef's Baking
Did you know that once you open a package of Oreos, you should eat them shortly thereafter if you want them fresh and still crunchy? Honestly. Usually when I buy a package of Oreos, I already have a recipe in mind to use them in so an open package doesn't stick around long in my pantry. I try not to actually eat them straight out of the package but prefer to incorporate them into baked goods â€“ such as these cupcakes.
This turned out to be a good vanilla cupcake recipe. It was moist and tasted delicious. The addition of the Oreos added flavor and a little crunch but I think if you wanted a plain vanilla cupcake recipe, you could also omit the Oreos and serve these unadorned, they are that good. If you want to keep the crunch of the Oreos as garnish, don't sprinkle them over the frosting until right before you serve it. Otherwise the exposure to air plus sitting on top of frosting will soften the Oreos. I prefer a topping with crunch, so I sprinkle the chopped-up Oreos on top of the frosting at the last minute.
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-2/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork to blend and set aside. In the bowl of anÂ electricÂ mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract.
3. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
4. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes outÂ clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectionersâ€™ sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons heavy cream
Oreo cookie crumbs
24 Oreo cookie halves
1. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectionersâ€™ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
2. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.