Perfect for rainy summer days, apartment living, party appetizers, kids, or really any occasion, these made-in-the-oven sliders are easy way to feed a crowd.
The Gourmand Mom
It’s burger season. It’s also unpredictable, chance-of-rain just about everyday season, which might just foil your grilling burgers plan, unless you’re like my dad who grills in snow, sleet, and rain. Weather is no more a deterrent for my father than it is for the mail man. I guarantee he’ll have ribs on the grill during the apocalypse. I like that about him.
I, however, am a fair-weather griller. Thankfully, burgers can still be enjoyed on rainy days with these simple, indoor burger sliders. The kids love these tiny tasty burgers. Who am I kidding? We all love these burgers. Hot dog buns, split into thirds make the perfect little slider buns. A dill pickle slice and spoonful of my spicy-as-you-like-it special sauce complete each perfect mini burger.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making these tasty burgers, which may quickly become one of your easy go-to weeknight meals!
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Scatter 1/2 finely diced onion in an even layer at the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or half-sheet pan.
2. Crumble 1 pound of ground beef over the onion. (Use 80/20 ground beef. It makes a difference!)
3. Press the meat into an even layer. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. (I used Old Bay seasoning.)
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes. While the burgers are cooking, divide 7-8 hot dog buns in half. Cut the bottom halves into thirds. Top each piece with a spoonful of special sauce and a dill pickle slice.
5. Once the meat has cooked, remove it from the oven. Pour off any excess juices. Top the meat with slices of American cheese. Place in the oven for another few seconds to melt the cheese.
6. Arrange the tops of the hot dogs buns on top of the meat. Cut through the buns and meat so that each bun is cut into thirds. (A pizza cutter makes a convenient cutting tool.)
7. Pick up each bun and burger portion and place it on top of the prepared bottom buns. Enjoy!
Spicy-As-You-Like-It Special Sauce
1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dill relish
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Tabasco, to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Combine the mayo, ketchup, dill relish, onion powder, and garlic powder until well blended.
2. Add a few dashes of tabasco sauce, then stir and taste. Continue adding tabasco, as desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.