Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with taqueria style tacos(Read article summary)
Taqueria style tacos made with a carne molida or ground beef filling.
A Palatable Pastime
While the tacos in the taquerias come with a wide variety of fillings, the most easily made of any of them in the home kitchen would be carne molida (or ground beef). This recipe uses beef with simple seasonings that many Americans may be more used to as opposed to the more complex flavors of a picadillo beef filling, which is also authentic.
But in terms of what constitutes a “taqueria style” taco, I would say is the double layer of corn tortilla with the simple cilantro-onion sprinkle, and fiery hot sauce. Crisp corn shells just don’t cut it if you are trying to evoke the feeling of taqueria. Neither do soft flour tortillas. Both of those are very much more Americanized shells. They can be used with the meat in this recipe of course, when you are more in the mood for that.
Perhaps this will become your go-to recipe for homemade taco meat?
Taqueria Style Tacos
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon seasoned Adobo or seasoned salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
16 soft corn tortillas
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup minced white onion
2 limes, cut into wedges
green habanero sauce or salsa verde (optional)
cherry tomatoes, sliced hot peppers and sliced avocado (optional garnishes)
1. Brown ground beef in a large skillet, then drain off any fat in a sieve and return to pan.
2. Add seasonings and one cup water; bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Uncover and continue to cook until any remaining water has dissipated.
4. Warm fresh corn tortillas briefly on a hot griddle just until pliable and soft, but not crisp.
5. Prepare tacos with a double layer of corn tortillas, a sprinkling of cilantro and onion, and hot taco sauce and a lime wedge to squeeze over the top.
Related post on A Palatable Pastime: Tacos de Carnitas (shredded pork soft tacos)