The day America changed
A timeline of events on September 11, 2001 and beyond.
• 5:45 a.m. EDT: Hijackers Mohammed Atta and Abdulaziz al-Omari pass through airport security in Portland, Maine, and board a flight for Boston. Over the next 90 minutes, 17 other hijackers clear security at three other Eastern airports.
• 6:00 a.m.: Polls open in New York City for primary elections.
• 8:14 a.m.: United Airlines Flight 175 takes off from Boston with other hijackers on board.
• 8:24 a.m.: On Flight 11, Atta, trying to communicate with the cabin, mistakenly contacts air traffic control.
• 8:37 a.m.: Air traffic control reports the hijacking to the US military.
Page 1 of 4