The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel obtained internal financial documents showing that the Cain campaign owed Prosperity USA $37,372, mostly for travel expenses but also for the purchase of iPads. It wasn’t clear if the money had been reimbursed; such expenditures might be a violation of federal law, the paper said.
Block told the Washington Post in an e-mail Monday that the campaign has asked “outside counsel to investigate the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s suggestions and may comment, if appropriate, when that review is completed.”
In addition, Block was the subject of a Huffington Post piece published Friday that reported he was banned from running Wisconsin political campaigns for three years in the early 2000s after he was accused of illegally coordinating a state Supreme Court justice’s reelection campaign with a special-interest group that favored school vouchers.
Still, nothing grabs the public’s attention like a sex scandal. And Cain spent all day Monday trying to tamp down the explosive Politico article. Speaking at a National Press Club luncheon, Cain acknowledged that he had been accused of sexual harassment while working at the National Restaurant Association, but asserted he had been “falsely accused.”
“In all of my over 40 years of business experience … I have never sexually harassed anyone,” Cain said.
He continued: “When the charges were brought, as the leader of the [restaurant association], I recused myself and allowed my general counsel and my human resource officer to deal with the situation. And it was concluded after a thorough investigation that it had no basis.”
Cain said he was not aware of any settlements having been paid. But if there were, he added, “I hope it wasn’t for much."