Terror suspects held in Afghanistan may challenge their detention
A federal judge applies the same principles as the Supreme Court ordered at Guantánamo, which presents a challenge to the Obama administration.
The action marks the first time an American judge has extended such constitutional protection to any of the 600 terror suspects being held in the military prison at the Bagram Air Force base.
In a ruling released on Thursday, US District Judge John Bates said he was applying the same legal principles established last June when the US Supreme Court extended habeas corpus rights for the first time to detainees being held at the US terror prison camp at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.
Judge Bates said he was applying a six-part test set out by the Supreme Court in its decision in the case Boumediene v. Bush.
"The Bagram detainees in these cases are virtually identical to the Guantánamo detainees in Boumediene," he said.
Critics of the Boumediene decision said it would eventually empower federal judges in Washington to second-guess a wide range of battlefield actions by the military overseas. They said it would stretch the civilian courts' enforcement of the Constitution "to the four corners of the earth."
Bates addressed that concern. "That's an overstatement," he said in his opinion. The judge said his ruling was intentionally narrow, applying only to detainees who had been captured by the US government outside Afghanistan and transported to Bagram for interrogation and indefinite detention. One of the detainees was captured in Thailand and transported to Afghanistan. The case involves four detainees who have been held without charge or access to counsel for six years.