With the fund having more than $28 million paid or pledged as of Monday, the largest awards – to individuals or families – will total as much as $1 million or more, says Kenneth Feinberg of the One Fund Boston.
Priority will be given to families of those killed in the attack, as well as people who lost limbs or are diagnosed with permanent brain damage, the attorney said Monday in releasing a draft protocol. Among the factors still to be weighed: whether some funds will go to people whose injuries did not result in spending a night or more in a hospital, and whether payments will be “means-tested,” such as by giving larger amounts to people who lack insurance.
The fund is receiving contributions from donors around the world – including proceeds from a benefit concert in Boston May 30.
July 4 previously a target. The surviving suspected Boston bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, told interrogators that he and his brother considered setting off their bombs on July 4, then shifted their plans to the earlier date of the Boston Marathon, US officials have said.
How bombs were made. Some investigators believe the bomb designs came at least partly from an article titled "How to build a bomb in the kitchen of your mom," published a couple of years ago by Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula's Inspire magazine. It was also republished earlier this year in a glossy brochure entitled the "Lone Mujahid Pocketbook."