Harry Burkhart, a German citizen and resident of Hollywood, was arrested in connection to the 53 arson fires set across Los Angeles.
Police arrested a Hollywood resident believed to be a German citizen on Monday in connection with a wave of 53 arson fires across Los Angeles that terrorized neighborhoods over the holiday weekend.
Harry Burkhart, 24, was taken into custody early on Monday morning after a reserve sheriff's deputy spotted him driving a van similar to one being sought after a string of fires set in Los Angeles, Hollywood and surrounding communities.
Authorities booked Burkhart on suspicion of arson and said he was being held at Los Angeles County jail. Authorities declined to comment on a Los Angeles Times report that Burkhart was embroiled in an immigration dispute with the federal government over the status of his mother.
"Our long, four-day nightmare is over," Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said at a Monday evening press conference.
"This has been literally a nightmare for people who live on the west side of L.A., the San Fernando Valley and West Hollywood," Yaroslavsky said. "I live in that community and I haven't had a good night's sleep since last week. I'm looking forward to that tonight."
Burkhart was expected to be advised of the charges against him at a hearing on Wednesday.
'MOST DANGEROUS ARSONIST'