One L. Goh, the South Korean suspect in the killing of seven people Monday at Oikos University, was 'upset with the administration of the school' and said he had been 'mistreated' and 'disrespected' by students, Oakland police chief Howard Jordan said Tuesday.
Oakland police said a 43-year-old former student named One L. Goh walked into Oikos University Monday morning and began a rampage that left seven people dead and three people wounded, while others fled for their lives.
It was an "extremely chaotic scene," police Chief Howard Jordan said.
Soon after the shooting, heavily armed officers swarmed the tiny college of fewer than 100 students. For a time, police believed the gunman could still be inside. But he wasn't.
Instead, officers said he apparently drove from campus before surrendering to officers inside a supermarket.
"It's going to take us a few days to put the pieces together," Jordan said.
Jordan told "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that the suspect was "upset with the administration of the school" and that the suspect had been "mistreated" and "disrespected" by students.
Those connected to the school, including the founder and several students, described the gunman as a former nursing student. The chief said Goh is a South Korean national who's a former student of the university.
Police first received an emergency call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a woman on the ground bleeding. As more calls came in from the school, the first arriving officer found a victim suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound, he said.
Page 1 of 4