A new, controversial memorial to victims of Mexico's drug war may prompt deeper wrestling with what has become a controversial topic.
The rusted steel slabs of a new memorial to victims of Mexico’s drug war bear no mark, not a single engraved name, of anyone among the estimated 60,000 killed in the past six years.
As part of the concept, it will be up to the survivors to write in loved ones’ names.
After all, there is no way to know exactly who the dead are, since the official death toll of the fight against organized crime was suspended last year. Nor is it possible to know the reason why many were killed given that more than 96 percent of crimes go unsolved and unpunished in Mexico. Mexican society is wrestling with exactly who is a victim and who isn’t, and the memorial could serve as a touchstone to bring victimhood to the forefront of the national conversation.
As if reflecting that uncertainty, the slabs serve as a blank slate: Names scrawled on can also later be erased.
“We truly need a dose of transparency,” says Daniel Gershenson, an activist for victims’ rights. “We don’t know how many victims there are.”
The memorial – yet to be opened to the public and shadowed by controversy arising from a rift among victims' groups over the monument – rises like a forest of dark panels on a corner of the capital’s heavily trafficked Reforma Avenue. Former President Felipe Calderón announced in November he would inaugurate the monument, but did not do so before leaving office Dec. 1. The slabs – erected next to military field known as Campo Marte, a tribute to the Roman god of war – tower above the white tarps, half collapsed, that currently enclose the memorial grounds covered with fallen leaves.
A spokesman for President Enrique Peña Nieto said the new president will inaugurate the memorial, but no date is set.