Another earthquake shakes Japan, Fukushima evacuated: a nuclear timeline
Day 5 – Tuesday, March 15
- An explosion hits Fukushima Daiichi's No. 2 reactor in the morning. Readings indicate some damage to the No. 2 reactor's suppression pool, a donut-shaped reservoir at the base of the reactor's containment vessel.
- A fire is ignited in the No. 4 reactor building Tuesday, but is later put out, according to officials.
- The plant is emitting as much radiation in one hour as it normally would in six months, but government spokesman Yukio Edano says: "The possibility that a large amount of radiation has been released is low."
- The head of France's Nuclear Safety Authority, upgrades the international alert from a level 4 disaster to a level 6 incident.
- Foreign companies begin to order evacuations of their employees.