The lone surviving gunman from November's assault testified that Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba's was involved.
NEW DELHI – The stunning confession by the surviving gunman from the gruesome Mumbai attacks last November could give India a new tool in its effort to pressure Pakistan to rein in militant groups, analysts say.
On Monday Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, one of 10 gunmen who launched the assault on India‘s financial capital that killed more than 170 people, stood up during his trial in a high-security prison in Mumbai and reversed his previous plea of not guilty. He said he had been recruited by the Pakistani Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and provided details of his instruction and training.
India is likely now to renew its calls for Pakistan to clamp down on LeT and extradite its leaders. “But it has been made very clear to the international community that Pakistan is not going to hand over LeT leaders to India,” Ms. Siddiqa continues. “It’s very clear that if they are tried, they have to be tried in Pakistan. It’s going to cause a lot of internal frustration in India.”
Court adjourned after provocative testimony
On Tuesday Mr. Kasab apparently tried to send a message to his former handlers through the media before the presiding judge adjourned the trial and issued a gag order on reporting some of the details of the day’s testimony. The Judge, M.L. Tahiliyani, said full release of the testimony could cause trouble between religious groups in India.
The trial is adjourned until Wednesday while the court works out whether to accept the confession or carry on with the trial.
On Monday Kasab gave a detailed – and chilling – account of his part in the attack, from his decision to join the LeT because he was poverty-stricken, to his group’s journey from Karachi in an inflatable dinghy, and the rampage that followed.