Switch to Desktop Site
 
 

Two NY apartments raided in terror probe

(Read article summary)
About these ads

An antiterror squad swept down on two New York City apartments in the early hours Monday, looking for information on a man with alleged links to Al Qaeda.

No arrests were made, and officials played down the raids later Monday, saying there was no immediate terror threat. But a resident of one of the apartments described a dramatic, middle-of-the-night operation, and local media quoted jittery neighbors.

ABC News reported that officials had been tracking an individual for several days, and moved swiftly to "disrupt the plans of a terror suspect."

"He was being watched and concern grew as he met with a group of individuals in Queens over the weekend," said Congressman Pete King (R-NY). "The FBI went to court late last night for an emergency warrant to conduct the raids this morning." A resident in the neighborhood said there was police activity around 2 a.m. Monday.
Officials said the execution of search warrants came after days of surveillance, and NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly characterized it as part of an "ongoing investigation."

The New York Times quoted New York Senator Charles Schumer, who was briefed on the operation, describing the raids as "preventative." Schumer denied rumors that there were concerns of an "imminent" attack or that the raid related to President Obama's visit to New York City on Monday.

Next

Page:   1   |   2

Share