Another Europe ally eyes exit from Afghanistan after attack(Read article summary)
Italy's prime minister said Italy will try to withdraw its 3,100 soldiers soon but with NATO input. Debate over the war has grown recently in Germany and Britain, too.
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi said Thursday that Italy should bring its troops home from Afghanistan “as soon as possible” in the wake of the deadliest attack on Italian troops in Afghanistan since they began their mission there.
Mr. Berlusconi said he would negotiate any withdrawal with NATO to abide by Italy’s agreement with the coalition. But his statement underscores the growing unease among America’s allies in the war in Afghanistan amid mounting casualties and a growing insurgency eight years after the war began.
Six Italian soldiers and nine Afghan civilians died Thursday in a car bomb attack in Kabul. Four soldiers and around 30 civilians were injured. Italy has 3,100 soldiers in Afghanistan, and 20 have been killed there.
Berlusconi said he would withdraw 500 troops “in the next few weeks” who had been sent to Afghanistan ahead of national elections last month and whom Italy had already planned to bring home, reports Bloomberg.