Switch to Desktop Site
 
 

Anders Breivik reenacts Utoya attack for Norwegian police

(Read article summary)
Image

Kyrre Lien/Scanpix Norway/AP

(Read caption) The Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang's front page published Sunday Aug. 14, showing the confessed terrorist Anders Behring Breivik as he is taken back to Utoya island by police on Saturday for a reconstruction of the July 22 terror attacks. The newspaper VG, is the only media present to observe the reconstruction.

About these ads

Norwegian police brought Anders Behring Breivik back to the lake island of Utoya Saturday so that he could walk them through the site of one of last month's twin terror attacks that he admitted to carrying out.

In a video posted by the Norwegian newspaper Verdens Gang, Mr. Breivik is seen boarding a ferry with police to Utoya, where he gunned down 69 youth camp attendants on July 22. He wears a bulletproof vest and harness attached to a long rope, keeping him tethered to an officer at all times.

The decision to bring Breivik back to the island anger many Norwegians, but police said it helped them fill in the blanks.

"We feel we have a fairly good overview of how everyone died or was shot now, even though there are still details to fill in," police prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told reporters in Oslo on Sunday. "He was not unaffected, but he showed no remorse for his actions."

Police spent eight hours traversing the island as Breivik calmly walked them through his hour-long rampage on Utoya, which followed his detonation of a car bomb in downtown Oslo that killed eight people and damaged government buildings.

In one photograph posted by Verdens Gang from the visit, Breivik stands near the island shoreline shouldering an imaginary rifle as officers look on.

Next

Page:   1   |   2

Share