Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site

Turkey earthquake: Tear gas used on protesters after second quake

Turkey earthquake: A 5.7 magnitude quake hit Van, Turkey - the second major earthquake in three weeks. Police dispersed protestors angry over relief efforts from the first quake.

Rescuers carry earthquake survivor Miyuki Konnai of Japan, after a 5.7 magnitude earthquake struck near Van, Turkey, on Thursday.

Reuters TV/Reuters

About these ads

Riot police fired tear gas and used batons to disperse protesters angry at the state's relief efforts after the second earthquake in eastern Turkey in three weeks killed at least 10 people in the city of Van.

Rescue teams searched for survivors after the 5.7 magnitude tremor on Wednesday night heaped misery on the predominantly Kurdish region where more than 600 people died following a major quake on October 23.

"How can you fire pepper spray on people who have already suffered so much?" said Abdulrahim Kaplan, 32. He had gone to the crisis center for a tent when police began firing tear gas, he said.

"Our people are freezing. We are sleeping outside -- all seven of my family," he said, complaining bitterly over the alleged unfair distribution of tents. "Some people take five tents, some 10 and others get nothing. This is wrong."

Thousands of families are living in makeshift camps with temperatures falling to freezing with the onset of winter. The latest tremor cut power to the area.

Some 200 demonstrators chanted for the resignation of the provincial governor in a rally close to two city center hotels that collapsed during the latest quake.

Working through the night, searchers had rescued 27 people from the ruins of the hotels, said a statement from Turkey's Disaster and Emergency Administration (AFAD).

Two of those brought out, including a 16-month-old, were flown by air ambulance to a hospital in the capital Ankara.

Rescue workers pulled a Japanese woman to safety from the rubble of the Bayram Hotel almost six hours after the quake but a Japanese doctor succumbed to his injuries, state-run Anatolian news agency reported.

The woman, Miyuki Konnai, was part of a rescue and relief team sent to Van from Japan after the first quake. She was found injured but conscious and could be seen talking to her rescuers as she was carried to an ambulance.

"I am cold. Rescue me quickly," said a man aged around 55 to 60 years old. When rescued 11 hours after the quake, he was strapped into a stretcher and carried to a waiting ambulance.


Page:   1   |   2

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.