On Friday, a Norwegian court must determine whether Anders Behring Breivik was sane when he killed 77 people last year. Court-appointed experts have come to opposing conclusions, but most Norwegians believe Breivik must have been mentally sound in order to plan such an attack.
A Norwegian court delivers its verdict in the ten-week trial of gunman Anders Behring Breivik on Friday, deciding whether to send the anti-Muslim militant to jail or a mental hospital for the massacre of 77 people last summer.
Prosecutors have demanded a verdict of insanity, a fate Breivik called "worse than death", while many of his victims say only a sane person could have carried out such a complex attack. Either way he is likely to spend the rest of his life behind bars.
"He has made it clear that if he is convicted as legally insane, he will appeal the decision," Geir Lippestad, Breivik's defence lawyer, said on Thursday. "If he is convicted as sane, he will accept that."
IN PICTURES – Norway vs. Breivik
Breivik detonated a fertilizer bomb outside a government building that included the prime ministerial offices last July, killing eight, then gunned down 69 people, mostly teenagers at the ruling Labour Party's youth camp on Utoeya island.
Guilt had never been a question in the trial as Breivik described in chilling detail how he hunted down his victims, some as young as 14.
The killings shook this nation of five million people which had prided itself as a safe haven from much of the world's troubles, raising questions about the prevalence of far right views as immigration rises.
The trial and a commission of investigation into the country's worst violence since World War Two have kept Breivik on the front pages for the past 13 months and survivors said the verdict would finally bring some closure.