Kidnappers free American journalist missing since 2012 (+ video)
Kidnappers in Syria on Sunday freed a US journalist missing since 2012 following Qatari efforts to win his release, according to al Jazeera reports.
Peter Theo Curtis was freed from captivity on Sunday, after reportedly being abducted in Antakya, Turkey, where he planned to enter Syria in October 2012.
The Qatari-owned television station named the journalist as Peter Theo Curtis, and said he had been handed over to a representative of the United Nations.
A family friend confirmed on Sunday that Mr. Curtis, originally from Boston, had been handed over to a United Nations representative, The New York Times reported.
His reported release happened just days after the Islamic State militant group fighting in Iraq and Syria issued a video shown the beheading of American journalist James Foley.
That video, together with a threat to kill another American journalist being held hostage, Steven Sotloff, inspired widespread revulsion in the West and a desire to hunt down the killer.
The U.S.-based Committee to Protect Journalists estimates that about 20 journalists are missing in Syria. Many of them are believed to be held by Islamic State.
In a video statement released by Curtis's kidnappers at some point during his captivity, Curtis said he was a journalist from Boston, Massachusetts, Al Jazeera reported.
Commenting on his treatment, Curtis said he 'had everything' he needed and 'everything has been perfect, food, clothing, even friends now.'
On Tuesday, a video surfaced on YouTube depicting the execution of American journalist James Foley, who had also been missing since 2012. In that video, IS vowed to kill another American journalist Steven Sotloff if the United States does not withdraw from Iraq.
Three Americans are now believed to be captives of IS, two men and one woman, according to the Times.