Menu
Share
Share this story
Close X
 
Switch to Desktop Site

Libya's interim government strengthens grip, says Khamis Qaddafi may be dead

The military spokesman for Libya's interim government said a son of Muammar Qaddafi may have been killed trying to flee Tripoli as the new Libya's forces extend their grip over the country.

About these ads

Khamis Qaddafi, son of former Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi and commander of a brutal military brigade, may have been killed Saturday, the military spokesman for the interim Libyan government said.

The claim was impossible to confirm and Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) has incorrectly reported the death or capture of Khamis and other Qaddafi sons in the recent past. While the situation around Tripoli is more stable than it was even 24 hours ago, there is still enough chaos to feed false reports. Anti-Qaddafi guerrillas in Tripoli have incorrectly said they had the former dictator surrounded on at least three separate occasions in recent days, and Khamis was falsely reported killed at the end of last week.

What's more certain is steady progress for the forces of Libya's interim government, who were recognized as Libya's new leaders when the pre-Qaddafi Libyan flag adopted by the revolution was hoisted at the Arab League in Cairo Saturday.

The interim government's forces made progress on several fronts over the weekend, capturing Bin Jawad near Qaddafi’s hometown of Sirte and taking control of a border crossing with Tunisia. Reporters in Tripoli say the capital is now firmly in the interim government's hands, though major cleanup and reconstruction efforts are needed, with power shortages, major damage to sewage lines, and hundreds of wounded in need of medical assistance.

Next

Page:   1   |   2


Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.

Loading...