Switch to Desktop Site
 
 

Kidnapped tourists moved from Sudan to Libya

(Read article summary)
About these ads

Eleven European tourists and their eight Egyptian guides, who were kidnapped in Egypt last Friday, have been moved into Libya by their kidnappers, according to the Sudanese government. The Associated Press (AP) reports the kidnappers and their hostages had been under surveillance in Sudan, where they were originally held, but relocated on Thursday.

The Egyptian government told AP that it had no information about the move to Libya, however, and Libya did not immediately comment on the report.

Mr. Youssef also said Khartoum now believes the kidnappers are Sudanese, rather than Egyptian. The Daily Telegraph reports that the Sudanese government claimed the kidnappers are tied to rebel groups in Darfur, but a rebel spokesman denied the charge, calling it "propaganda from the government of Sudan."

According to the BBC, Egyptian officials say the kidnappers are demanding several million dollars in ransom for the European tourists. The BBC notes that Gilf al-Kebir, which was featured in the 1996 film The English Patient, is near "chronic conflict areas" in Sudan and Chad, but is largely unpopulated and lacks a police presence.

Next

Page:   1   |   2

Share