North Korea quits nuclear talks, vows to resume nuclear program(Read article summary)
The move is a response to the UN Security Council statement condemning North Korea's missile launch last week.
North Korea on Tuesday announced that it was walking out on six-party talks to end its nuclear program, and vowed to resume operating its nuclear facilities. The decision comes a day after the 15-member United Nations Security Council condemned North Korea's April 5 rocket launch, which critics argue was a long-range missile test.
According to North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency, the decision to abandon international talks is a response to the UN Security Council statement, released on Monday, which was deemed insulting to the North Korean people.
Now that the six-party talks have turned into a platform for infringing upon the sovereignty of the DPRK and seeking to force the DPRK to disarm itself and bring down the system in it the DPRK will never participate in the talks any longer nor it will be bound to any agreement of the six-party talks.
North Korea also said it will restore nuclear facilities it has been disabling and resume operating them, apparently referring to its five-megawatt plutonium-producing reactor and other facilities at the Yongbyon complex north of Pyongyang.
North Korea also said it will reprocess spent fuel rods, also apparently referring to an activity at Yongbyon, and "actively consider" building a light-water nuclear reactor.
Page 1 of 4