Qatari men may have coordinated with 9/11 terrorists: WikiLeaks cable(Read article summary)
Three Qataris, aided by a man from California, conducted surveillance of future terrorist attack sites in the weeks before 9/11, according to a newly released US diplomatic cable from WikiLeaks.
More people may have participated in the 9/11 terrorist attacks than previously disclosed, according to a confidential US diplomatic cable obtained and published this week by antisecrecy group WikiLeaks.
The year-old cable described three Qatari men who were under investigation for activities in the months prior to the attacks. According to the cable, which is viewable at WikiLeaks.ch, the men entered the US on Aug. 15, 2001, and visited "the World Trade Center, the Statue of Liberty, the White House, and various areas in Virginia" before flying on to Los Angeles.
The cable was first published by British newspaper The Telegraph, which on Monday published a report under the headline: "The FBI has launched a manhunt for a previously unknown team of men suspected to be part of the 9/11 attacks, the Daily Telegraph can disclose."
But US officials were quick to throw cold water on that report. An unnamed US official told The Washington Post that investigators already concluded that the men could not be charged. "There is no manhunt," said the official. "There is no active case. They were looked at, but it washed out."
Page 1 of 4