Gas seeping into sewers brings havoc in Illinois
Hydrogen sulfide gas seeping through a sewer system here Thursday killed one person, critically injured at least two others, and forced the evacuation of about 500 people, officials said. The source of the gas was not immediately determined, but Environmental Protection Agency officials noted there was a spill of sulfuric acid about the same time at a Mobil Chemical Company plant nearby. Mobil was unavailable for comment. Depue is 100 miles southwest of Chicago.