News In Brief
US holds up plan to equip a Jordanian strike force
The administration has dropped its plan to equip a Jordanian strike force for use in an emergency in the Gulf, pending reestimation of the $220 million cost, the State Department said Wednesday.
Spokesman John Hughes said Congress had been asked in the past few days to defer action on the request ''without prejudice'' following close consultation between the United States and Jordan.
He said the two countries agreed that the program should undergo further review and its costs be reestimated.