News In Brief
WHY NOT 'IGOR?' OR 'IRVING?'
Israel: In addition to being a country, it's a common first name for males in Spanish-speaking nations. But it won't be attached to a hurricane, assuming there are enough in the eastern Pacific this year to get to the letter "I." After protests by Jewish groups, the World Meteorological Organization says it will substitute the politically safer "Ivo."
Looking for a great place to play golf? Head to Hawaii.
Golfers overwhelmingly picked Hawaiian courses as the best places to tee off, in an annual survey of 4,000 readers that appears in Conde Nast Traveler's June issue. The poll ranks 229 courses in continental North America, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. In deciding the best, respondents assessed speed of play, course design, professional staff, accommodations, and other amenities. The top 10 finishers:
1. Manele Bay Hotel, Lanai, Hawaii
2. The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, W.Va.
3. Orchid at Mauna Lani, Big Island, Hawaii
4. Lodge at Koele, Lanai, Hawaii
5. The Cloister, Sea Island, Ga.
(tie) Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, Big Island, Hawaii
7. Four Seasons Resort, Nevis, British West Indies
8. Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii
9. Mauna Lanai Bay Hotel & Bungalows, Big Island, Hawaii
10. American Club, Kohler, Wisc.
- Associated Press
(c) Copyright 2001. The Christian Science Monitor