If a sleek, high-performance Ferrari 550 Maranello and a used Volswagen Golf were racing each other, there's no doubt that the Ferrari would win, right? But what if both were up for auction on eBay ? Well, they were earlier this month, and guess which car fetched the higher price? Answer: the Golf. But it wasn't just any old Golf. An unidentified bidder paid $230,253.19 for the onetime property of Roman Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, now Pope Benedict XVI , although news reports say the future pontiff never drove it. As for the Ferrari, it was withdrawn from the auction after the offers - shall we say - stalled at $91,110. Bidders apparently weren't sufficiently impressed that it had been owned and - in this case - operated by the pope's countryman, legendary Formula One racing champion Michael Schumacher.
Considering that most movies are in the range of 90 minutes long, the American Film Institute had plenty of candidates to choose from in ranking the best lines of dialogue of all time. The top 10, as announced by AFI earlier this week, with the movie each helped to make memorable:
1. "Gone With the Wind" "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
2. "The Godfather" "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
3. "On the Waterfront" "I coulda been a contender."
4. "The Wizard of Oz" "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
5. "Casablanca" "Here's looking at you, kid."
6. "Sudden Impact" "Go ahead, make my day."
7. "Sunset Boulevard" "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."
8. "Star Wars" "May the Force be with you."
9. "All About Eve" "Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night."
10. "Taxi Driver" "You talkin' to me?"