Sweet potato breakfast cups(Read article summary)
Make an easy and fun breakfast to grab on the go with these egg cups. Use frozen sweet potato tator tots as the "crust" for your egg cups.
The Pastry Chef's Baking
I did take a stab at healthier eating this month. If you consider sweet potato tator tots healthy. They make the base for this breakfast cup recipe. At first I was inclined to boil sweet potatoes, mash them and form them into cups in muffin tins but I didn’t know if that would provide enough structure or just result in sweet potato mush so I went along with the tator tot idea.
For the most part, it worked. This was super easy to make so it was suited to my cooking “skills.” Make sure to bake the "tot cups" long enough for them to crisp up before adding the ham and the eggs. Because of the eggs, you don’t want to bake these too long or they will get rubbery. I made a basic mistake (typical) and didn't read the directions carefully so I didn't pre-bake the tots like I should have. The taste was still good but the texture would've been better had the sweet potato cups been a bit more crisp.
Sweet potato breakfast cups
From Easy Healthy Living
19-ounce package frozen sweet potato tots, thawed
1/2 cup lean diced ham
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat muffin tin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Allow tots to thaw then place about 5-6 tots in each cup. Mash tots with back of spoon or small glass to form cup shape in muffin tin. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. Remove cups from oven and add diced ham. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
4. Mix eggs and milk until evenly combined, add salt and pepper as desired.
5. Divide egg mixture between muffin cups.
6. Bake cups for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.
Related post on The Pastry Chef's Baking: French Toast Breakfast Bake