Super duper snickerdoodles(Read article summary)
Covered in cinnamon sugar, these buttery cookies are great after-school or work snacks.
The Pastry Chef's Baking
When I was taking pictures of these snickerdoodles I wanted to make sure I could capture the thickness of the cookies to do them justice.
These snickerdoodles stayed obligingly thick without spreading too much. As usual, employ all the usual tricks: freeze or chill the dough thoroughly before baking, make golf-ball sized cookie dough balls, bake on the convection setting of your oven if it has it, and don’t over bake.
If the cookies puff up in the middle, that’s fine but you should be looking to take them out shortly after the puffy stage. You want them to sink in the middle after you take them out and as they cool. These didn’t topple my favorite recipe for snickerdoodles but they’re still a good one to try.
Super duper snickerdoodles
From Big, Soft, Chewy Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar until smooth. Add egg, milk, and vanilla extract until just combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture.
3. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls and chill or freeze until firm.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove cookie dough balls to thaw slightly while oven is preheating.
5. Combine cinnamon and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough balls into mixture and space evenly on cookie sheets.
6. Bake until edges of the cookies are golden brown and middles no longer look raw, about 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake. Let cool for 2-3 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
See related post on The Pastry Chef's Baking: Thick and soft snickerdoodles