Quick and tasty weeknight meal: adobo chicken pasta(Read article summary)
Both spicy and sweet, this chicken pasta dish comes together so quickly you won't need to wait long for dinner.
I owe this recipe, in part, to the checker at the grocery store. I was buying some chipotles in adobo sauce, which I use often in soups, when he offered a tip: Use the sauce for pizzas! Whoa. My mind was blown. I'll have a recipe on that topic for you soon, but in the meantime, I have been thinking: What else can I do with adobo sauce? I’ve always loved the flavor, and it isn’t spicy at all for those who don't like spice (but those chipotles sure are!), but I’d never thought to make it a main feature.
That all changed here! This adobo chicken pasta is a super quick meal, and gives your “OMG I’M HUNGRY NOW” pasta a new taste. It’s always good to have some variation, right? So here ya go – another quick and easy pasta dish to help you in your hangriest moments.
The staples of the sauce are (get ready!): adobo sauce, plain greek yogurt, olive oil, and maple syrup. Yes, maple syrup! The maple gives the smoky adobo flavor a nice sweetness, but doesn't overpower the dish with maple. I also chopped up about 1/3 of a chipotle pepper (from the adobo can) to give some kick – I'll never turn down a good spicy dish!
Adobo chicken pasta
10 ounces dry pasta
1 large chicken breast
1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
1 large handful fresh spinach
1/3 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (optional), minced
1 cup plain Chobani fat free Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large pot of water and cook pasta according to directions.
2. Cut the chicken breast into thin slices, and cook, along with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, until fully white in a large saute pan over medium heat (and a splash of olive oil if it's not a non-stick pan).
3. When the chicken is almost done, add the handful of spinach and cook until wilted.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the remaining adobo sauce, yogurt, maple syrup, and olive oil.
5. Combine the pasta with the chicken, spinach, and sauce. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.