In Boston Marathon bombing case, significant progress and mass confusion
Media reports suggest that a surveillance camera at a store near the Boston Marathon finish line might have caught a glimpse of the bomber. But reports that he was already in custody were refuted by law enforcement.
The investigation into the Boston Marathon bombings took major strides forward Wednesday, but the day was also marked by confusion, as TV news outlets first said a suspect was in custody and then had to back off that claim.
The positive news is that federal and Boston-area law enforcement sources are saying that significant progress has been made toward identifying a suspect in Monday’s twin bombings, according to various sources including CNN and The Boston Globe.
Video from surveillance cameras at the department store Lord & Taylor, near the bomb blasts at the marathon finish line, appear to have played a central role in the progress, identifying the face of a suspect or person of interest in the case.
"The camera from Lord & Taylor is the best source of video so far,” said Dot Joyce, a spokeswoman for Mayor Thomas Menino, according to The Boston Globe's website. “All I know is that they are making progress.”
What’s less clear is whether a specific individual has been identified by name, or how close officials are to taking anyone into custody or making an arrest.
Early Wednesday afternoon, CNN began reporting that an arrest had been made.
But less than an hour later, before 3 p.m., the network was retracting that claim. It quoted both Obama administration and local sources saying reports of an arrest were untrue.
A press briefing is scheduled for later in the afternoon.