Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site

Angola says South Africa trying to recapture towns

South African forces have launched a fresh offensive to recapture three towns near the border with Namibia (South-West Africa) which they abandoned last month , Angolan officials said Wednesday.

A Defense Ministry communique said South African forces began a fresh attack on Mongua and Xangongo, in Kurene Province, at the end of September. Antigovernment forces were also massing for a new large-scale attack on the Kunene provincial capital, N'Giva, the communique said.

About these ads

South Africa has denied that its forces are still occupying parts of southern Angola after their major incursion launched Aug. 23.

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.