Share this story
Close X
Switch to Desktop Site

Belfast funeral spawns violence. Crowd attacked at IRA funeral, which some call propaganda

About these ads

Tuesday's funeral for three IRA terrorists turned into a melee as three people lost their lives and 23 were reported injured. Police are holding a man suspected of carrying out the gun-and-grenade attack on the crowds that thronged the funeral route in Belfast yesterday.

Most of the estimated 10,000 mourners were believed to be sympathizers of the ``provisional'' wing of the outlawed Irish Republican Army. The Roman Catholic IRA, as it is known, has waged a long and violent campaign to rid Northern Ireland of British rule, and unite with the Republic of Ireland.

The bodies of the three IRA terrorists - Mairead Farrell, Daniel McCann, and Sean Savage - had been flown from Gibraltar to Dublin and then driven to Belfast amid unprecedented scenes of IRA support. The three IRA members had been shot and killed by British forces on March 6 in Gibraltar, while allegedly setting up a bomb for a terrorist attack in the British possession.

Thousands of people paid their last respects at Dublin airport in the Irish Republic, and at Newry, just north of the border. However, outside Belfast the cortege was stoned by Northern Ireland loyalists. The loyalists - made up largely of the region's Protestant majority - want to retain ties to Britain. Some analysts here contend that the IRA and its legal political wing, Sinn Fein, have attempted to turn the Gibraltar setback into a propaganda victory. The elaborate funeral arrangements, they say, aimed to make martyrs of the dead by bringing thousands of sympathizers onto the streets and attracting the attention of the world news media.

The death of Farrell and her two companions is seen as a serious blow to the IRA, which has now lost six activists this year.

Two other ``volunteers,'' Brendan Burns and Brendan Moley, died in a premature explosion Feb. 29. Kevin McCracken, another IRA activist, was shot dead by British troops in West Belfast shortly before the bodies of the Gibraltar three arrived back in Belfast. Security forces said a high-powered rifle had been recovered beside McCracken's body.


Page:   1   |   2

Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.