When Alan Shepard embarked on Apollo 14 in 1971, he took along a piece of microfilm that contained all eight pages of the first edition of this newspaper, dated Nov. 25, 1908.
Each astronaut was allowed to carry a small bag of personal effects. Shepard agreed to include the microfilm of the Monitor.
The front page portion of that well-traveled strip of microfilm was later mounted in a glass sphere. It currently has an honored place in the editor's office.