The father of a bodyguard injured in last month's deadly attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, said Wednesday he did not blame the State Department, but asked them to own up to their shortcomings. On Wednesday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton vowed to investigate the attack.
The father of an American bodyguard injured in the deadly attack on the US mission in Benghazi, Libya, said on Wednesday the US State Department should own up to what he said were its mistakes and release more information about what occurred.
David Ubben, a 31-year-old State Department employee, suffered broken bones and other injuries in the Sept. 11 attack that killed the US ambassador to Libya and three other Americans.
As David Ubben recuperates at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center outside Washington, his father, Rex Ubben, said he did not blame the State Department or Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for his son's injuries. But "I do find it troubling that they have not owned up to their shortcomings; in government, in the military, and in business, if something goes wrong, you admit it, correct it, and move on," Rex Ubben said.
"If you were in charge, it was your fault," he said in an email exchange with Reuters.
His comments came after some congressional Republicans on Tuesday called for Clinton to provide more information about security at U.S. compounds in Benghazi in the days, weeks and months leading up to the attacks. In a letter to Clinton, Representatives Darrell Issa of California and Jason Chaffetz of Utah recounted a number of attacks in Libya this year and alleged that requests from U.S. officials in the country for heightened security went unheeded.
Debate over whether President Barack Obama's administration was caught unprepared by an assault by militant groups has become U.S. election-year fodder.