West Bank dispute: Palestinian leader gives peace talks one-week reprieve
One day after Israeli moratorium on settlements expires, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas delays his decision on whether to quit the US-backed Middle East peace talks for one week.
The US-sponsored Israeli-Palestinian peace talks were handed a reprieve Monday when Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said he would not decide for one week whether to quit the talks in protest over Israel’s resumption of settlement construction.
With the sword hanging over the talks just relaunched by President Obama this month lowered at least temporarily, US officials starting with Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton planned to press both Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in the coming days to try to reach a compromise – so far elusive – to allow the talks to continue.
Special Mideast envoy George Mitchell was to leave Monday evening for several days of meetings in the region aimed at keeping the talks alive.
Determining the outcome of American mediation will be whether the two sides are close enough for any proposed compromise to satisfy both sides, some Mideast experts say.
“The Americans have a long history – if they think the two sides are close enough – of coming up with suggestions for bridging proposals,” says Patrick Clawson, deputy director for research at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. “The question is, do the Americans see this as that kind of situation,” he adds, “because it’s clearly the domestic situations on the two sides that will drive this.”