Ariel Castro, who is charged with kidnapping and raping three women in Cleveland, is competent to stand trial, a judge ruled. Ariel Castro asked the judge if he could visit the 6-year-old girl he fathered with one of the women. The judge said no.
A man charged with holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade and raping them is competent to stand trial, a judge ruled Wednesday.
Also Wednesday, prosecutor Saleh Awadallah said a meeting is planned July 11 to discuss the possibility of seeking the death penalty for the 52-year-old Castro, who faces aggravated murder charges stemming from allegations that he caused the deliberate termination of one of the women's pregnancies.
Awadallah invited Castro's attorney, Craig Weintraub, to submit evidence to him before the meeting to support an argument against the death penalty in the upcoming discussions.
Castro's attorneys have previously hinted that he might plead guilty if talk of capital punishment was taken off the table.