Switch to Desktop Site
 
 

Family Dollar murders: Suspect in custody

Family Dollar murders: A former Family Dollar employee is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in Dearborn, Mich. Lavere Bryant said he was innocent of the murders.

Image

Janet Post leaves flowers and lights a candle outside the Family Dollar store in Dearborn, Mich., on, July 17, 2013, after two people were killed there.

(AP Photo/Ed White)

About these ads

 A former employee of a discount store in Michigan was arraigned Wednesday in the fatal shootings of two other workers.

Lavere Bryant declared his innocence following an afternoon hearing in Dearborn District Court. He is accused of killing two employees of a Dearborn Family Dollar store.

"I did not murder" the victims, Bryant said as he left the courtroom.

The 34-year-old Dearborn man is charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of felony murder as well as armed robbery, unlawful imprisonment, felon In possession of a firearm and felony firearm charges.

Police and prosecutors say he's responsible for the deaths last week of Brenna Machus and Joseph Orlando, both 20. Machus disappeared on July 15, the same night Orlando was fatally shot in the store. Her body later was discovered in a wooded area less than 2 miles away.

Bryant, who was ordered held without bond, requested a court-appointed attorney. A preliminary examination is scheduled for July 31.

Family Dollar spokeswoman Bryn Winburn told the Detroit Free Press that Bryant was terminated from the company in the spring. She said she couldn't comment on other details surrounding his employment but that the company was working closely with police on the case.

Next

Page:   1   |   2

Share