Switch to Desktop Site
 
 

Philippines' peace accord blocked

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4

About these ads

The pact on territorial claims would have been the third signed between the two sides since 2003. Following Tuesday's planned signing, negotiators were preparing to start work on a final binding document that could be ready within a year, says Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita. "The national government is doing everything possible to come to a final agreement," he says.

Local Christians protest

The proposed Muslim homeland would have control over the exploitation of minerals and other natural resources within its jurisdiction, according to a draft copy of the accord. Its executives could conduct overseas trade missions. It would also run its own security force, which is designed to absorb the bulk of MILF fighters. They numbered around 11,000 at their peak but have dwindled since a 2001 cease-fire.

Such concessions are bitterly opposed by Christian landowners and politicians who fear land grabs and have petitioned the Supreme Court to block the pact. Thousands of Christians in Zamboanga, a city in southwest Mindanao, rallied on Monday against the deal, Reuters reported.

A wave of government-backed migration since the 1940s has seen Christian settlers acquire land in Mindanao that previously belonged to Muslims.

Tensions over land helped fuel a 1972 uprising by the Moro National Liberation Front that claimed 120,000 lives over four years. In 1977, the MILF broke away from the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) to pursue an explicit Islamic-based agenda, including sending volunteers to Afghanistan to fight Soviet occupation.

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4


Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.

Share

Loading...