News reports are saying American authors will be considered for the prestigious UK literary prize next year, while the Booker Prize organizers say these stories are 'incomplete' but haven't discounted the possibility.
Will American authors qualify for the Man Booker Prize starting next year?
News reports are circulating that the prestigious prize, which in the past has been open only to authors from the UK, Ireland, and countries that are known as the Commonwealth Nations, will consider works by American writers next year.
However, according to the Guardian, the Man Booker Prize literary director Ion Trewin said of the stories, “There are going to be some changes to the rules of the Man Booker prize for fiction which have been in discussion for some while. The information which is currently in circulation is incomplete.” The full announcement will be released Wednesday, Trewin said.
The Man Booker Prize is awarded each year to an author from one of the aforementioned countries whose book is released in English and not self-published. Last year’s prize was given to author Hilary Mantel for her novel “Bring Up the Bodies” and the shortlist for this year’s prize, consisting of six nominees, was recently announced. The Booker Prize winner receives 50,000 pounds (about $80,000) and this year’s award winner will be announced on Oct. 15.
In its report on the Booker possibly beginning to accept American writers, Sunday Times writer Richard Brooks wrote that “organisers increasingly believe that excluding writers from America is anachronistic. The Booker committee believes US writers must be allowed to compete to ensure the award’s global reputation.”