Super Bowl mini pizza appetizers(Read article summary)
A quick no-fuss appetizer to help you cheer on the Super Bowl.
There is a lot to do before Sunday, Feb. 5 6:30 p.m. ET when the rematch of Super Bowl XLII kicks offs. Remember, in 2008 the Giants ended New England’s bid for a perfect season with a 17-14 upset victory. Here in Boston we didn’t appreciate that very much.
To prepare for Super Bowl XLVI, there are hundreds of details fans will need to pay attention to: trivia questions to brush up on, decisions on where to watch the game, what to serve if you are hosting a party.
If you have somehow won the party bid and you’ve got people coming over to your house to watch the Patriots win I recommend some no-fuss appetizers that will keep you out of the kitchen and parked in front of the TV with everyone else.
Mini Pizza Appetizers
This isn’t so much a recipe as it is assembly instructions. Here is how to present your guests with a delicious snack that doesn’t taste like it came out of the freezer or a cardboard box and doesn’t require tipping the delivery guy:
1. Purchase a ball or two of frozen pizza dough in your local grocery frozen food section (Whole Foods, City Feed, and Trader Joe’s in my neighborhood all had them. I found the Go Pats! helmet cookies at City Feed).
2. Set the dough out on your counter in a bowl to unthaw. This will take several hours, so plan ahead.
3. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out your pizza dough. Using a 2-inch circular cookie cutter, cut out your mini pizzas (or use whatever cookie cutter shape you prefer. If you actually own a football shaped cookie cutter, you will be the coolest Super Bowl hostess/host).
4. Assemble your mini pizzas with your favorite toppings. Use the best ingredients you can find. There are some great organic canned tomato sauces out there and if you have a little bit of extra time, shred your own mozzarella.
Some ideas for toppings:
- Green peppers
- Pepperoni (or vegan pepperoni for your veggie friends)
- Caramelized onions
- Fresh basil
- Crushed pineapple
- Canada bacon
5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F. oven for about 15 minutes.
6. Consume. Repeat. Cheer. Win.