Yield: 6 mini bundt cakes plus about 12 medium-sized cupcakes (or one large bundt cake) – I tend to make very small cupcakes, so I ended up with 6 mini bundts and 18 cupcakes.
Printable recipe3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2-1/2 cups cake flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1-1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs, separate the yolks and the whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin pureé
1/4 cup of canola oil
For the glaze:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk (or half & half)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 6-well mini bundt pan, and line a 12-muffin/cupcake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
3. In a large bowl with a beater (or a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment), beat the butter on medium speed until creamy (about three minutes). In 1/2 cup increments add the brown sugar, beating well after each addition and scrapping down the bowl as necessary. Once all the sugar has been added, beat everything together on medium speed for 3 or 4 minutes.
4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg yolks and beat on low until incorporated. Add the pumpkin pureé and oil, and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
5. In a separate medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (if you’re using the same eggbeater, wash it before doing the egg whites, otherwise they won’t work).