This simple tomato soup is chock-full of veggies and flavors. For a weeknight dinner, this soup demands biscuits. Add feta and green onion to your dough for a savory twist.
In Praise of Leftovers
Three generations. Riding bikes in the sun.
After our bike ride with Grammy, Poppy, and the kids yesterday, I told Yancey, "This is a very short window. The oldest are healthy, the youngest can ride a 2-wheeler, and the 10 year-old still wants to be with us." A little blip on the screen, really. And all the more precious for it.
After our ride, we came back to the house and grandparents played cards with kids while I made dinner. We have people over a couple times a week, and I usually plan ahead more than I did last night. Nothing prepped, chopped, or even dreamed up.
Enter Refrigerator Soup, though I've named it something else here. A vegetable soup like this:
1. ... is a wonderful way to pack in oodles of veggies.
2. ... makes great leftovers (not that I have ever devoted any time to thinking about that).
3. ... is endlessly variable.
4. ... makes a pretty picture.
5. .. kind of demands biscuits. I made a divine variation. (See recipe below.)
Tomato barley soup
The great thing about a soup like this is that it's almost impossible to mess it up. Don't go light on the salt, taste as you go, and have fun cleaning out your fridge!