Menu
Share
Share this story
Close X
 
Switch to Desktop Site

Turkey ups the ante on Israel over Gaza flotilla incident

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4

About these ads


"We will not wait to eternity for an Israeli answer," the foreign minister said, according to Agence France-Presse. A senior Israeli government official said on Monday after hearing Davutoglu's remarks that Israel "would never say sorry for defending itself," AFP reported.

Israel has refused to allow an international probe into the May 31 incident and has instead launched its own inquiry.

A US State Department official said last week that the US anticipates that Mr. Netanyahu will give President Obama "a report on the early stages of the Israeli investigation into the flotilla tragedy," when the two meet at the White House tomorrow, according to the Agence France-Presse.

Turkey has also pulled out of joint naval exercises with Israel and the US planned for next month and has banned Israeli military aircraft in Turkish airspace, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Haaretz reported that Turkish Airlines has cut in half its weekly flights to and from Israel, from five or six per day to only two or three per day, as a result of an Israeli tourism boycott.

Ankara has also recalled its ambassador to Tel Aviv.

The Jerusalem Post estimated that the Israeli tourism boycott will cost Turkey $400 million in revenue. On June 17, a group of Muslim leaders issued a statement calling on Muslims to help Turkey recoup those lost tourism dollars by vacationing there as a show of solidarity.

Next Previous

Page 2 of 4


Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.

Loading...