CLINTON'S CABINET PICKS
Secretary of Education
* Born: Greenville County, S.C., Jan. 2, 1933.
* Education: BA, Furman University; JD, University of South Carolina Law School, 1959.
* Military service: US Navy officer.
* Career: Aide, US Sen. Olin Johnston (D) of South Carolina, 1960-61; family law practice, Greenville and Simpsonville, S.C., 1961-77; member, South Carolina House of Representatives, 1963-67; member, South Carolina Senate, 1967-77; governor, South Carolina, 1979-87; senior partner, Nelson, Mullins, Riley & Scarborough, 1987 to present; director of personnel, Clinton-Gore Transition Team, 1992.
* Personal: Married to Ann Osteen Yarborough; four children.
* Assessment: He was one the leading education reformers among the nation's governors in the early 1980s, leading the fight for the sweeping Education Reform Act. He is also a friend and mentor of Clinton; the two men became Southern governors in the same year and worked together on many issues.