The Mission San Fernando Rey de Espaa, where this photo was taken, was founded on Sept. 8, 1797, in what is now Mission Hills., Calif., outside San Fernando. It was the 17th of 21 Spanish missions built when California was owned by Spain. Damaged by earthquakes, neglect, and even 19th-century vandals drawn by rumors of buried gold, this and the other missions are now the focus of a three- year campaign to raise public awareness of their restoration needs.
(c) Copyright 2000. The Christian Science Publishing Society